CFUW 100th Anniversary - 2019
CFUW will have been in existence for 100 years in 2019. To celebrate the anniversary, a number of projects and awards are planned which are outlined below.
Notable Women Award(2019)
One hundred awards will be given to members of the Canadian Federation of University Women who have made outstanding contributions within CFUW and/or to the wider community, locally, nationally, or internationally in the fields of Education, STEM, Economic Empowerment, Political Engagement, Organizational Leadership, Cultural Endeavours or Social Innovation.
The award will be given to each recipient in the form of a limited edition 100th anniversary gold pin.
Recipients shall be:
- Women who are current members of CFUW
- Women who have made contributions within the aims and objectives of CFUW.
- Women who have been recognized for sustained efforts over a period of time and have made a distinct and describable difference in their communities.
Distribution of Awards
To endeavour to make the distribution of awards as equitable as possible throughout Canada, the Clubs are divided into ten Areas. Within each Area ten awards will be given to members of the Clubs in that Area. Detailed information regarding number of nominations per Club is stated below.
Acknowledging that Club sizes vary and statistically larger Clubs may have more potential candidates, the nomination limits will be as follows:
- Clubs with 1-50 members will be entitled to one nomination. For every 50 members thereafter each Club will be eligible for another nomination. (For instance a Club with 100 members would be eligible for 2 nominations but a club of 150 members would be eligible for 3 nominations).
- Completed nomination forms must be sent to the appropriate Area Committee by January 31, 2017. An Area Committee will be made up of the Regional Director and one member from each of her area's Clubs. (This Committee will vet the Clubs' entries between February 2017 and May 2018).
- Each Area is asked to submit a total of 20 nominations to the national judging committee by December 31, 2018.
- The National Awards will be announced and presented at the 2019 AGM.
CFUW will re-submit its application in 2017 as per Canada Post policy.
Parks Canada Agency, Government of Canada, will erect a plaque acknowledging the 100th Anniversary of CFUW. The exact location of the plaque will be announced later.
100th Anniversary Scholarship Project
To celebrate CFUW’s support of women’s studies since 1919, Clubs, Councils and members have been invited to award, at both the local and national level, an additional $100,000 in scholarships and awards during the anniversary year. To date $31,000 has been donated to the CFUW Charitable Trust for additional fellowships in 2019.
Biographies of Past Presidents
As part of the CFUW 100th Anniversary, histories of all CFUW Past Presidents have been prepared and are available on the Member Resource website.
The biography of Dr. Margaret (Stovel) McWilliams, who was the first president of CFUW was released at the 2015 AGM in Quebec City and is found here
For a list of past presidents, please click here
History of CFUW Project
A writer has been hired to prepare a history of the 100 years of CFUW and a record of its efforts in advancing equality for women and girls. While pieces of the CFUW history have been done, there are gaps and no comprehensive history exists. The publication will be available in 2019.
100th Anniversary Pin
Past President Biographies